Food trucks are ideally a low cost venture. Let’s have a look at the basic costs of starting food trucks or food vehicles’ in India.
Here are the basics to get a food truck up and running.
Food Truck / Cart / Vehicle / Trailer
- The commercial rates for food trucks in India differ from region to location. It is suggested that a quote is requested from food truck manufacturers to get an idea of tentative engineering costs. If the venture is planned for a large scale, then food trucks are a good choice. For a tight budget, food trailers and street food vehicles’ are significantly less expensive.
Food Truck Commissary
- You’ll need a secure place to park your vehicle, need supplies like fresh water, cold storage, store food overnight to name a few. It’s a startup cost, if you have to pay rent on the space.
- Food trailer and food truck business should have an idea of how to market themselves and what their core value is that they’re delivering. The idea of building a business plan and being able to serve your needs is essential.
- Needs vary from one food truck to the other, but most modern food trucks in Delhi operate out of a commercial kitchen. When the truck is ready to go out and serve, they pick it up at the kitchen.
- Every city has its own flavor of taste. Food vehicles and food trailers can exploit this characteristic to blend in their specialties with the hot favorites of the city. This should be done in a manner in which the food truck stands apart from the usual bon appetite dishes of the city. Some food for thought here.
- It all starts with one person: you. For a successful food truck in Delhi, the staffing needs all come down to the style of business you want to run.
- Food trucks are not guaranteed a place to park. Make a plan and set a route where your vehicle can go and where you’ll be able to access an enthusiastic customer base.
- Successful food trucks in India do a handful of things very well. The menus tend to be much more narrow and oriented towards specialty foods. It’s an opportunity to get known for a particular item. Invent in a catchy food cart menu which is aesthetically appealing.
Social Media & Marketing
- The best thing about street food vehicles is the personal connect of the owners with the customer base. This is vital for repeating business. Social media, emails, SMS and push messages, promotional offers on banners are some of the means for an optimal outreach to the customers.
In a nutshell, post the startup costs, the regular operational costs for food carts can be summed up as:
Operating Costs (Both Fixed and Variable)
- Vehicle payments, unless you’ve purchased your vehicle outright
- Vehicle rental
- Commercial kitchen rental
- Vehicle parking expenses or space rental expenses for a kiosk
- Food and/or ingredients
- Parking permits, such as for special events
- Gas and oil
- Vehicle repairs
- Packaging, labels, etc.
- Marketing and promotion